Laboratories operating under ISO 17025 accreditation shall ensure the competence of all who operate specific equipment, perform tests and/or calibrations, evaluate results and sign test report and calibration certificates.
Personnel performing specific tasks shall be qualified on the basis of appropriate education, training, experience and/or demonstrated skills, as required.
In some technical areas (e.g. non-destructive testing) it may be required that the personnel performing certain tasks hold personnel certification.
The laboratory is responsible for fulfilling specified personnel certification requirements.
The personnel responsible for the opinions and interpretation included in test reports should also have:
– relevant knowledge of the technology used for the manufacturing of the items, materials, products, etc. tested, or the way they are used or intended to be used, and of the defects or degradations which may occur during or in service;
– knowledge of the general requirements expressed in the legislation and standards;
– an understanding of the significance of deviations found with regard to the normal use of the items, materials, products, etc. concerned.
ISO 17025:2005 section 5.2 furthermore stipulate that :
- The laboratory management shall formulate the goals with respect to the education, training and skills of the laboratory personnel.
- The laboratory shall have a policy and procedures for identifying training needs and providing training of personnel.
- The training programme shall be relevant to the present and anticipated tasks of the laboratory.
- The effectiveness of the training actions taken shall be evaluated.
- The laboratory shall maintain records of the relevant authorization(s), competence, educational and professional qualifications, training, skills and experience of all technical personnel.
- This information shall be readily available and shall include the date on which authorization and/or competence is confirmed.
Using a modern Learning Management System, like DTC’s Education & Certification platform, may assist to comply with above mentioned requirements according to ISO 17025, because it provides:
- a solid framework for your training programme
- professional online courses, which is available 27/7
- personnel certification upon successful course completion
- up-to-date information about achieved training results